Weather Safety | Atmos Energy
Stormy Weather Alert

Weather Safety

We want you and your family to be prepared if severe weather impacts your natural gas service. 

 Please contact us if you have a natural gas emergency or questions about your natural gas service:

  • 24/7 Emergency Line: 866.322.8667
    • Call our 24/7 emergency line if you have a damaged natural gas meter, are smelling natural gas, cannot access your natural gas meter, suspect a natural gas leak, etc. 
  • General Customer Service: 888.286.6700
    • Monday - Friday, 7am - 6pm CT

Safety Information

If you suspect a natural gas leak inside or outside your home or business, leave the area immediately and call 911 and our 24-hour emergency line at 866-322-8667.

Use all of your senses to detect a natural gas leak:  

  • SMELL the distinctive “rotten egg” or skunk-like odor that makes natural gas detectable.   
  • LOOK  for blowing dust, bubbling water, or dead vegetation near a gas line.
  • LISTEN for a hissing or whistling sound near a gas appliance or a roaring sound near a pipeline.

Natural Gas Equipment Safety:

Do not use natural gas equipment if it is flooded or damaged. First, contact Atmos Energy or a qualified service person to inspect it for safety.

If your natural gas meter is damaged, leave the area immediately. From a safe distance, call 911 and also call the Atmos Energy 24-hour emergency line, 866-322-8667.

If your natural gas meter is undamaged, clear the area around the meter so cleanup crews can easily see and avoid it. Cleanup crews may strike or run over meters that are hidden beneath trash or debris.

Leave them alone. Do not turn off your natural gas service at the gas meter, even if you are evacuated.

Whether it’s a small pipe indoors or a large one outdoors, if you see a damaged gas pipeline, immediately leave the area. Call 911 and call the Atmos Energy 24-hour emergency line, 866-322-8667.

It is important to take precautions when operating a generator.  Follow manufacturer instructions when setting up a generator.  Improper use can produce carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless toxic gas.