FAQ: Safety Information
The natural gas industry has an excellent safety record, and Atmos Energy works very hard to keep it that way. However, it is important that our customers and community residents know what to do in the unlikely event of a natural gas leak. You can detect the presence of natural gas a number of ways (Please share this information with all occupants of your household.):
SMELL: A distinctive "rotten egg" odor added to make natural gas detectable
LISTEN: An unusual hissing sound near gas appliances or a blowing sound near gas lines
LOOK: Blowing dirt, bubbling creeks or ponds, dry spots in moist areas or dead plants surrounded by green live plants near gas lines
If you suspect a natural gas leak in your home or outside, follow these safety steps:
- LEAVE the area IMMEDIATELY and tell others to leave too.
- CALL ATMOS ENERGY from a safe distance at our toll-free emergency number: 866-EC-ATMOS (1-866-322-8667) or call 9-1-1.
- DO NOT turn any lights on or off, smoke or use a cell phone, or operate any vehicle or equipment that could cause sparks.
- DO NOT attempt to turn natural gas valves on or off.
Atmos Energy will send a trained service technician immediately to investigate any emergency leak call.
The sense of smell for most people is a highly reliable indicator of a natural gas release. However, a continued exposure to mercaptan, the most typical odorant added to natural gas, can desensitize your sense of smell. Therefore, if you ever smell leaking natural gas, do not wait! Leave the premises immediately and call Atmos Energy or 911.
If you suffer from anosmia, olfactory fatigue or recurrent ailments, such as colds, sinus conditions or allergies, you might have a diminished capability to detect a natural gas leak. Using tobacco, alcohol, medications or narcotics can lessen your ability to smell odorized gas. Pungent odors from chemicals in some lines of work and off-gassing of new building materials also can mask the odor of mercaptan.
If a medical condition or your lifestyle might prevent you from smelling natural gas, use all your senses—smell, listen and look—for telltale signs of a leak.
Carbon monoxide, often referred to as CO, is a poisonous gas that is odorless, colorless,
tasteless, and non-irritating. It is formed by the incomplete combustion of
almost any material, but particularly hydrocarbon fuels such as gasoline,
kerosene, coal, propane, natural gas, wood, charcoal, diesel fuel and
When CO is inhaled, it combines with the body's blood and prevents it from
absorbing oxygen. A person exposed to high levels of CO may complain of
dizziness, headache, nausea, sleepiness or other flu-like symptoms without
Stationary vehicles are the most common source of CO poisoning while natural
gas appliances account for a small percentage of all CO poisonings. The
primary cause of CO problems associated with natural gas appliances is
space heating equipment in which vents and chimneys are not properly
installed or maintained. Other causes include misuse of appliances such as
improper use of ranges and ovens for space heating.
- Do not operate gasoline-powered motors or use charcoal grills in
enclosed spaces, such as an attached garage.
- Provide adequate ventilation when using a wood stove or
fireplace, and be sure it is in good working condition.
- Be certain that all flame-producing appliances are properly installed,
adjusted and operated. Check vented appliances periodically to be sure
that the vent pipe has a proper rise and is not blocked by bird nests or
other debris. The vent pipe should have an approved vent cap securely
attached at the end.
- Special care must be taken with gas space heaters because many are
installed unvented. It is especially important to make sure than an
adequate supply of fresh air is available to ensure proper combustion.
Proper combustion is normally indicated by the presence of a clear, blue
flame. A small amount of yellow or orange is normal and is caused by flecks
of dust in the air.
- Carbon monoxide detectors are commercially available and are relatively
inexpensive. The best precaution, of course, is to have an annual inspection by
a qualified professional. We encourage you to install CO detectors that have
been approved by a national testing laboratory.
Call 811 well in advance before digging, drilling or excavating begins to have buried natural gas, electrical, telephone, cable and other utility lines located and marked. This is the law in all states. The 811 service is provided at no cost to you, and it can save you time and money. It's also the SAFE thing to do when digging around buried utility lines.
You may have to call a plumber or electrician to mark lines running across your property that are not maintained by the utilities. The 811 service does not mark these lines.
Most states require at least two full business day's notice before excavation begins; however, some require three days.